Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thump thump..Thump thump......BPM

In my quest to get in some kind of shape (other than pear), I have been worried about my heart rate. It has been going up to 188 bpm. It seems kind of high for my age but I don’t feel like I’m straining myself and not having any problems. So, do I have anything to worry about? Here is what I found online.

There were three different formulas for calculating Max Heart Rate that seemed to be reoccurring from site to site; the first was the one that appeared on the most sites. 220 – Age = MHR. For me that would be 180. The second most commonly found formula was 226 – Age = MHR, mine would be 186. The last one came from a popular running web site and is the only one that had separate formulas for male and female. According to this site a male should calculate his using 214 – (.8 x Age) = MHR and a female should use 209 – (.7 x Age) = MHR. Using this formula my max should be 182. Not that big of a difference in the three, and my actual heart rate of 188 is not that much higher than any of them. I was surprised that not one formula I found factored in weight. That would just seem natural since weight has so much to do with a healthy heart. But what do I know?

If anybody has any other information on Heart Rate, I would like to hear it.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Did you try this website?http://www.runnersweb.com/running/hr_calculator_new.html

My new running coach told me to use this one, and don't feel bad about how high yours was....after over 3 years of running, I just found out last night (based on my HR) that I shouldn't be running an easy run beyond an 11:20 pace because mine was so high....why didn't i ever pay attention to this stuff before??

Bryan said...

Still comes out to around 180. I wonder how he came up with the 11:20 pace?

Amy said...

Because he paced me while my HR was at 160 and the pace was around 11:20. That's all...no magic formula. I did it last night...ran trying to keep my HR around 160. I had to stop and walk several times! I can't believe what I've been putting my body through thinking that I'm making some progress but really not making any at all!

I'm meeting him tonight for an official meeting so I'll pass on all my new found knowledge!