Sunday, January 4, 2009

Really? 4:30am? What were you thinking?

My legs were still killing me Friday from the New Year’s run so I decided to wait until Monday to start the strength training. Saturday it rained all day, but I did make an attempt to run this morning at 4:30am but after the first ½ mile it started to rain. I stuck it out for a while but by the 1 mile mark it was pouring and I headed back in. I only got in 1.2 miles so if it lets up later today I may head back out to get a few more miles in. If not I guess I will have to play gerbil and run on the tread mill. I hate the tread mill!

I noticed that some changes I made are producing results. The big one is in the way my foot makes contact with the ground. I have always been a “Heel Striker” and in the past when I ran my knees would be sore for days even when the rest of my leg muscles were fine. So I have been making a conscious effort to let my foot strike flat or more towards the ball and it seems to be working. I had no knee pain in this morning’s run. The other changes are in my posture; trying to stand more upright, and in how I carry my arms; I used to tuck them in and hold them up high on my chest now I am trying to let them be in a more relaxed position. Of course I have not run enough to notice if this is making a difference yet.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yes,4:30 am totally sucks. If it makes you feel any better I didn't get my run in at all...so your way ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned!